10 Fun Facts about the University of Miami

Located in sunny Florida, University of Miami is an ideal university for students who love the outdoors. If you’re thinking about applying, check out these 10 fun facts about the University of Miami:

1. Maybe, it’s coincidence, but both celebrity tough guys Dwayne Johnson and Sylvester Stallone both went to the University of Miami.

2. UM’s colors are green, white and orange, representing Florida’s orange tree! Green for the leaves, white for the blossoms and orange for well, the orange.

3. Did you know Enrique Iglesias studied business at University of Miami?

4. The mascot was originally named “Icky” but was renamed after San Sebastian hall which became a university dormitory in 1939.

5. The Ungar Building used to be the home of the National Hurricane Center.

6. The Richter Library has the largest collection of resources documenting the Cuba diaspora outside of Cuba.

7. Miami Hurricanes’ official mascot was actually a 65 pound brown and white boxer dog.

8. Florida State University and University of Miami has a long lasting college football rivalry.

9. As a football tradition, Miami players and fans hold up four fingers at the beginning of the 4th quarter at every home football game to indicate they own the last quarter.

10. University of Miami’s on-campus Sports Hall of Fame houses an authentic Seminole war canoe that was hand carved and painted by tribes people in 1955.

Are you looking to apply to University of Miami or just starting to build out your college list? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

LiaMichelle201…
Miami ‘18

Accepted to UCF, USF, Miami, FIU, FSU, FGCU

Hey there, my name is Liah Brinson. I am on my way to being a sophmore at the University of Miami. Once I graduate, I will then go on to apply to the University of Florida. My goals are to attain a career in both Veterinary medicine and Writing.
Miami39526
Miami ‘18

Accepted to Princeton, Brown, JHU, Duke, WashU, Rice, Miami, Florida

Undergraduate studying Neuroscience at the University of Miami.

7 Types of Second Semester Seniors
7 Types of Second Semester Seniors

If you’re a high school senior right now, you’ll know all about Senioritis. (Unless you’re #7.)Standardized tests, college application essays, FAFSA forms… senior fall is no fun. Thankfully, you’re (almost) finally...