10 Fun Facts About UVA

1. James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe all lived in Charlottesville.

2. Parts of “Evan Almighty” were filmed in Charlottesville’s surrounding areas!

3. Edgar Allen Poe briefly attended UVA.

4. Dr. Seuss was denied admittance to UVA.  Rumor has it the name for the fictional town of “Whoville” was a pun off the University’s nickname, “Hoos”

5. UVA doesn’t refer to students as freshmen, sophomores, ect, but rather first-years, second-years and so on.

6. Number 5 is due to the fact that Thomas Jefferson, the school’s founder, believed that one never stops learning and that student’s education at UVA is just the beginning.

7. The first class to accept women was the class of 1970.

8. Many refer to the campus as “grounds.”

9. The official mascot for UVA is the cavaliers, but they unofficially adopted the Wahoos, a fish that can drink its weight in water, as their second mascot. While it was originally shouted as an insult by an opposing school at a football game, the students at UVA instead adopted the name.

10. Both Tina Fey and Katie Couric went to UVA.

If you’re interested in applying to UVA, see all of our admitted students here! If you’re already a student, make sure to sign up and upload your application materials to earn money.

cmc9fs
UVA ‘19

Accepted to JMU, Penn State, USC, UVA

I am a first year Kinesiology major at the University of Virginia.
khanzai94
UVA ‘16

Accepted to NYU, UChicago, Harvard, UVA, Drexel, UPenn, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Brown, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth

I am 21 year old college transfer student at New York University. I used to attend UVA and major in History and Philosophy.
uvacogsci
UVA ‘18

Accepted to UVA, William & Mary

currently a 1st year at UVA
tford14
UVA ‘18

Accepted to UVA, Rutgers, Tufts, William & Mary, Northeastern, UConn

I'm a First Year at the University of Virginia, Majoring in Spanish and Economics and planning to earn a Fourth Year MS in Commerce.