5 College Traditions at Smith College Everyone Should Know About

Are you waiting to hear back from Smith College? Or, are you thinking about applying this fall? Either way, here are 5 college traditions at Smith you should know. 

Chartered: 1871

Location: Northampton, MA

Type: Liberal Arts

Size: Small

Undergraduate Students: 3,033

Campus: Urban

Notes: Smith College is apart of the five-college consortium, which includes Amherst College, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire College, and University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Convocation

One of Smith College’s favorite annual traditions is convocation, which signifies the start of a new school year. All the houses create a theme, in which all house members dress up or dress down and on the evening before the first day of classes everyone rally’s together for a big celebration. Each house marches, cheering and chanting house songs to the John M. Green Hall where the President and faculty give a speech welcoming back the students to campus and a good luck on the new school year.

Mountain Day

Mountain Day happens once a year during the fall semester, where on one nice day the president will ring the bells bright and early in the morning that cancels all classes for the day, allowing students to go out and enjoy the nice weather. Most students take part in house activities such as apple picking, kayaking on paradise pond, or hiking.

Julia Child Day

As many may know Julia Child, the famous chef is a Smith alumna, class of 1934, and once a year every dining hall will cook one of her world famous recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Each dining hall serves a different recipe, so you can imagine there is lots to choose from1

Otelia Cromwell Day

Otelia Cromwell was the first African-American student to graduate from Smith. Each year the college cancels afternoon classes so students can take part in workshops focusing on diversity and race.

Rally Day

Rally Day, which was celebrated to commemorate George Washington’s birthday, is now a celebration for Smith alumnae to be awarded Smith College medals by the president. Rally day is also a day of celebration for the seniors. For the graduating class, Rally day is the first day the seniors publicly sport their graduation caps and gowns and it is also the reveal of who is the commencement speaker at graduation.

If you weren’t considering Smith College before, you should now. Learn more about the college and its student body by browsing our database of 60,000+ successful college application files

VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

Los Angeles kid attending UC Berkeley, Class of 2020! Planning on studying business or economics. Go Bears!
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.
nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...