5 Successful Boston College Essay Examples

Are you applying to Boston College this fall? This Jesuit-affiliated college is one of few schools that don’t require any supplemental essays, which puts more emphasis on your personal statement. Here are 5 essay intro examples that were successful:

Pippa205

BC ‘20

When describing my home of—-, I would define it as a typical English village. But what is typical for me is not normal to everyone else. My normal is growing up in a village with a pub that can fit only ten people. It is going to boarding school in an area of ‘outstanding natural beauty’. Normal is joining a primary school, attended by Winston Churchill, which was built around a 14th century manor house, and had only 138 students. It is having the closest town of—- being named ‘one of the strangest places to live’ due to its many converging religions. Some might not call this normal, but I’ve always called it home. Keep reading.

Mmarie

BC ‘19

A frizzy mane of unruly ringlets crowns me as the owner of the Hair That Cannot Be Tamed. With corkscrew curls poking out freely from every inch of my head, I am quickly given the nickname “Fro-Fro”—half lovingly and half mockingly—by the children in my 5th grade class. Believing that there is truth in their ridicule, I decide to try out a new ‘do. I make a valiant attempt to tame my curls by creating two buns atop my head in a Minnie Mouse-like fashion, in what I thought would become the be-all and end-all fad of 2007: View full essay.

Eringriffin

BC ‘18

From the bright orange Indian tapestry and the intricately woven Iranian prayer mat hanging on the wall to the Romanian tea kettle perched precariously among piles of ungraded papers and tests, Ms. Moore’s World Literature classroom can more accurately be likened to a room in the Museum of Natural History than a 10th grade English classroom. Contrasting with the typical “hang in there” and “math is fun!” posters plastered on the walls of my other high school classrooms, the unconventional décor of Ms. Moore’s room is the first clue to any visitor that Room 187 is a unique learning environment. Darting from one end of the room to the other, a just under five-foot woman with cropped brown hair and glasses greets me as soon as I walk in the door. Calling me a biscuit, a nickname she reserves for her students, Ms. Moore makes coming into English feel like coming home. The room is warm and filled with excitement, a community of people passionate about literature and global issues presented in our readings. Although 10th grade has come and passed, the room and its owner still welcome me and all other students. The room itself, the teacher, and the community of Room 187 make it a place where I was and still am completely content. Read more

Rodrigko

BC ‘18

As I slow my stride to look around, I see others on my track team working through their exhaustion and keeping a steady pace. Most of the time I can push forward, as the track is where I find solace and really feel alive. Sports have always been a large part of my life, but today I can’t help imagine running off the track straight into my home to fill the mold of my bed. I normally don’t concede to my fatigue, but sometimes the early wake ups, long train rides, and hours of work at school leave me wanting nothing more than to go home to recharge and come back rejuvenated another day. Unfortunately, home has not always been the best place for me to do this. Continue reading

johnvm14

BC ‘18

I’m afraid of everything. I’m afraid of the dark. I’m afraid of getting sick. I’m afraid of ghosts in my basement. I’m even afraid to eat my Grandma’s cooking – those expiration dates are there for a reason! Being home alone frightens me because I never know what could happen. A robber could break in. A tree could fall and crash through the roof. The electricity could go out and I could fall down the stairs in the dark. I was never afraid of elevators until I went on the Tower of Terror at MGM Studios. Now I’m afraid of ending up in the “Twilight Zone” instead of the hotel lobby. All of these fears paralyzed me for years and I was unable to fully enjoy life. View full

Are you looking to apply to Boston College or just starting to build out your college list? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

Pippa205
BC ‘20

Accepted to BC, UMich, Emory

International Freshman at BC '20 - Excited to explore Boston and have the best four years on The Heights. Here to help!
eringriffin
BC ‘18

Accepted to BC, Fordham, Villanova, UVM, LUM

Hi! I am a current junior at Boston College. I attended a public school about 45 minutes away and was accepted Early Action. Hope my information helps!
sxflak

Accepted to Northwestern, BC, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Florida, Northeastern, Tufts, UMich, NYU, Vassar, Wesleyan

I am a transfer student at Northwestern. Essays from freshman and transfer admissions included.
PJMarino
BC ‘15

Accepted to BC, , Bentley,

My name is Paige Marino. I am a rising senior at Boston College, majoring in English and minoring in American Studies with a concentration in journalism. I hope to someday have a career in journalism or advertising.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...