7 Classic Books You Should Read This Summer

Summer is coming up, and we’re all counting down the days. We’re all getting ready to head to the beach, kick back, and just generally not think about school. But, before you throw all your textbooks and notes in a box that you’ll likely never look at again, consider actually reading these books – and not just the Spark Notes version – if you haven’t already. There’s a reason classics are classics. Yes, they may be difficult to digest when they’re assigned in class, but they’re so much better when you choose to read them for the great books they are. Trust us, you want to have a few of these under your belt.

The Great Gatsby: One of the most important classic American novels ever written, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s book is read in most high schools across the country. Every high school and college student should read this.

The Odyssey: Homer’s epic poem is one of the most important books in Greek history, as it tells the story of a crucial part after the fall of Troy. Yes, it’s long - but it’s worth it.

“Between the history, characters, and storytelling, I don’t think there’s another story quite like it.” -Drew Evans

Wuthering Heights: Emily Bronte’s only novel is a foundation of English literature. It touches on all aspects of life - religion, morality, social and gender disparity, and more. Between Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, the Bronte sisters wrote two of the most important English novels ever.

Applying to college next year?
View the application files, essays and advice of accepted students.

1984: If you’re interested in social commentary, 1984 is the book for you. One of the most famous dystopian books ever written, George Orwell’s 1984 is widely regarded as a top science-fiction book.

Rebecca: This novel by Daphne du Maurier sold nearly 3 million copies within its first 25 years in print. The gothic mystery has never gone out of print, showing just how popular it has and still is.

“Rebecca was really the first thriller I read in high school, and it quickly became my favorite. It’s also where I met Ryan - he didn’t read the book, so I was his version of Spark Notes. We’ve been friends ever since.” -Frances Wong

The Golden Compass: Though published relatively recently, this young-adult fantasy novel has seen an enormous amount of success. It was quickly made into a movie, and was a box office hit as well. Though it’s classified as a young-adult novel, it’s read by teens and adults alike.

“This has always been my favorite book because of the beautiful concept it represents. I love the idea of humans having animal counterparts, and how some are ever-changing.” -Jamil Al-Ghosein

The Catcher in the Rye: This book was originally written as a novel for adults, but has become a popular mainstay for teens everywhere. J.D. Salinger’s book lead to great success, and the book’s main character, Holden Caulfield, is one of the most popular leads in literary history.

nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.
HarvardCowboy

Accepted to Harvard, CalTech, Duke, WashU, UVA, VA Tech, UToronto, Alabama

Advice more down-to-earth than my profile pic.