An Ithaca College Student on First Impressions and College Visits

Ever wonder how you could ever decide between universities, or even what to look for on visits? Ian, is a sophomore journalism major at Ithaca College’s Roy H. Park School of Communications. After school, he would like to be a sports writer for a major sports network or professional sports team, and dreams of working for the Brooklyn Nets. Here is his story of college visits and his advice on how to decide: 

When visiting schools that I applied to and was eventually accepted to, a lot of minor things caught my attention. I made my initial visits to Quinnipiac University, Syracuse University and Ithaca College in the beginning of my senior year of high school. I was immediately drawn to all of the schools for their atmospheres and educational opportunities, and there were some intricacies that really made me consider each institution a great place to spend the next four year of my life.

Quinnipiac University

This was the first school I visited, and I loved the campus right away. The open space with many students outside enjoying themselves was most certainly a positive sign. All the students I saw seemed very pleased, regardless of where they were going.  As we toured the residence halls, the residents were open to letting us in and view their rooms. I ultimately decided that the school was not for me due to how spread out everything was.  I also felt it would be difficult to get myself up to go to class five days a week. I would dismiss this university as a potential landing spot, but it just wasn’t mine.

Syracuse University

To start the tour, the first place they took us to was their basketball arena. As a major sports enthusiast and hopeful sports journalist, this was incredible. It was easy for me to picture the stadium packed with thousands of screaming fans, ready to watch one of the best teams in the country go out and display their world-class talent. I also was taken to Newhouse, the communications school, and I was definitely impressed. The ultimate reason I decided not to attend the school was because I did not receive enough financial assistance to make it affordable for me.

Ithaca College

When visiting this school, I went in with the mindset that I was not going there. I had already received almost a full scholarship, so I went just for fun. However, I feel in love with Ithaca instantly. I loved the campus, from the waterfall to the athletics center, and everything in between. They showed me the Park School of Communications, and the opportunities there were endless. The equipment they had was very advanced, and they offered ample amounts of hands-on experience both in and out of the classroom. They also spoke of all of the clubs around campus, and that got me excited for those opportunities too. I loved everything about it, and decided to go ahead and choose Ithaca as the university to attend for the next four​ years.

Just something to think about: when it comes to visiting schools, do not be afraid to ask questions. Whether you are in a large group of people on a tour, or just wandering around the campus, ask someone for help if you need it. I know that there is no way that you can visit a school without wondering about anything that goes on there, so go ahead and let people help you out. Most students/professors will jump at the chance to answer your questions, and it can really help you get a better sense of what the school is truly like. Also, don’t just go to the places the tour guide takes you. Try to go to some of the regular hangout spots at each school you visit in order to get in the mindset of a potential student. You can also learn a great deal from this approach! Most importantly, make sure you have fun. That is ultimately what college is all about, as you will receive an education anywhere. If you don’t feel like you will enjoy your time there, then maybe you might want to head in a different direction.

I hope your college selection process goes smoothly. Good luck, and have fun!

To read more about Ian, check out his AdmitSee Profile!

Student Reviews: Dartmouth College's Location & Culture
Student Reviews: Dartmouth College’s Location & Culture

Thinking about applying or enrolling at Dartmouth College? Look beyond Dartmouth’s Ivy League reputation and see what current Dartmouth students have to say about going to school in Hanover. 1. Dartmouth’s Campus & CultureStudent...

The 10 Stages Of Waiting For College Decisions

Nothing feels more like a judgment of who you are as a person and what you’ve accomplished than college admissions results. As you oscillate between crushing self-doubt and steeled confidence about how your application...

Class of 2022 Regular Decision Notification Dates

College decisions are drawing closer. With so many different notification dates to keep track of, we’ve put together a list of Class of 2022 release dates to help you manage it all. March 14th, 2018Massachusetts...