College Football Roundup: Highlights and What to Watch

Last weekend brought us another exciting weekend of college football; lets take a look at some of the weekends best games and headlines:

Michigan v. Northwestern

Are the Maize & Blue Back?

No. 18 University of Michigan came away with a big win Saturday by crushing No.13 Northwestern 38-0, making it their fifth straight win and first time they’ve shut out three straight opponents since 1980. After losing their first game under new head coach Jim Harbaugh the Wolverines have won five straight, and doing it in fashion. Michigan rushed for over 200 yards and held a high-powered offense in Northwestern to only 168 yards. Keep on eye on the boys in blue; if they can carry this momentum into next week’s big matchup against No. 7 Michigan State we may see some movement in the Top 10 rankings.

Umm, spike on 4th down? Can't do that.

Really Rutgers???

After winning 24-21 against a subpar Purdue team last week, Michigan State freshman LJ Scott scored the game-winning touchdown on a 3-yard run with 43 seconds left to secure a Spartan win 31-24. Despite the ugly win, quarterback Connor Cook came one yard short of a career high with 357 passing yards and two touchdowns, including a crucial 29-yard completion on 3rd down on the game winning 76-yard drive. Rutgers had a chance to make a comeback on the final drive, but following a 3rd down sack with 4 seconds left Rutgers quarterback Chris Laviano, who had played above expectations up to this point, spiked the ball on 4th down to end the game, a surefire candidate for the Not Top 10.

That's a look of frustration.

University of Southern California – Multiple Upsets

While the USC Trojans suffered a major upset to conference rival University of Washington, their biggest loss came on Sunday night, when it was announced that head coach Steve Sarkisian would no longer be the head coach due to his alcohol addiction. This is no new news to their coaching staff, since he was reportedly drunk on the sidelines of the Arizona State game earlier this year. Reports say he showed up “in no condition to work” on Sunday morning and was therefore dismissed by the team that night. Clay Helton has been named interim coach for the Trojans.

Charlie Strong is a happy man.

Longhorns Shock the Sooners

After University of Texas lost 50-7 to powerhouse TCU, the Longhorns fought back to pull out a big win against No. 10 Oklahoma in the Red River Showdown. With the worst start to a season in almost 60 years, Charlie Strong’s Longhorns came out the tunnels like they knew it was all on the line. They jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter. With a 17-10 lead late in the 3rd quarter D’Onta Foreman broke off an 81-yard run to set up a 4th quarter touchdown to give Texas the lead they needed to secure a big ol’ W.

Last chance for UGA? Not happening.

Any Volunteers?

University of Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs had a career high 312 passing yards in addition to 118 rush yards as he accounted for 5 Vols touchdowns in a 38-31 win over conference rival No. 19 Georgia. The Vols showed some serious heart in this game coming back from a 21-point deficit, the 3rd largest comeback in program history. Georgia did not only lose a heartbreaking game, but also lost their star running back Nick Chubb to an injury on the first play and most likely their spot in the AP Top 25.

Okay, Trevon. Relax.

Can TCU & Trevon Boykin Be Beat? But Seriously…

Trevon Boykin continues to do Trevon Boykin things every week. Two weeks ago, it was the insane 4th & Goal game winning touchdown pass to secure a win over instate rival Texas Tech. This week, the Horned Frogs erased a 35-17 halftime deficit to overcome Kansas State. While both games were projected as surefire wins for TCU, they traded scoring drives with Tech all game and needed a spectacular comeback to beast KSU. While there may be whispers of doubt surrounding TCU in these games, Heisman candidate Boykin plays with an intensity that wont let his team lose. He threw for 301 yards and two touchdowns, including a 55-yard bomb to Josh Doctson with 1:10 remaining to take the late and final lead.

What to Watch for in Week 7

Some of this week’s big games include a SEC rivalry between Florida and LSU. Florida, of course, had their starting QB suspended the remainder of the year due to a positive PED test while LSU’s Leonard Fournette continues his campaign as the Heisman front runner. A red hot Michigan team hosts an under-performing Michigan State that will answer everyone’s question: Are the Wolverines back? We’ll see some Pac12 action out west as a high-powered UCLA team looks to take on an upset hungry Stanford. And of course, what’s college football without mentioning the University of Alabama? Bama looks to take on Texas A&M, as the Aggies are the next team up to spoil Bama’s playoff hopes. So clear your plans, grab some friends, fine some couches, and your favorite game day snacks. Get prepared for a week filled with unpredictable games - and who knows, this week may just bring us one of those unforgettable finishes.

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from traditional & online highschool background. Can help cut essays & navigate audition/business interview process! On full tuition merit scholarship
niathuravil
Rutgers

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local dancing astronaut with a passion for the political things in life.
mintchocolate

Accepted to USC, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, Washington, Case, Oregon State, Rice, UC Berkeley

USC Trustee Scholar (full tuition), Neuroscience and Pre-med, science researcher
agirgis

Accepted to USC, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine, Siena, Rutgers, Rutgers, UT Austin, Emory, Stony Brook

QuestBridge Scholar, Class of 2020.