Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University.

Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier this year, Cornell received an all-time high 6,319 early decision applications, a 30% increase from last year early applicant pool. Naturally, the acceptance rate also drops to 24.3%, down from Class of 2021’s early acceptance rate of 25.8%, the Cornell Sun reported.

The early admitted 1,533 students will fill approximately 46% of Cornell’s Class of 2022. Cornell’s Early Decision Program is binding, which means students must enroll if accepted.

Last year, Jason Locke, associate vice provost of enrollment, said Cornell recruits student athletes and prioritizes them during the early decision round. For any given graduating class, 80% of student athletes are accepted through early decision. This year student athletes make up 11.5% of the early admitted students from the Class of 2022, down from last year’s 13.4%.

Other interesting observations include a slight drop in the percentage makeup of legacy students, who have a family member who graduated from Cornell. 23.3% of early admitted Class of 2021 students were legacy students, compared to 22.1% of this year’s early admits. Additionally, despite the current political climate, the number of international applicants increased 19%, similar to last years 20% increase over the previous year.

Congratulations to all students accepted to Cornell’s Class of 2022! Create a profile and upload your successful college application materials to inspire and help future applicants. Plus, earn some extra money while you’re at it.

Got deferred or rejected? Reset and focus on your regular decision applications. Our premium plans offer different levels of profile access and data insights that can help you get into your dream school.

Unlock any of our packages or search our undergraduate profile database to find specific profiles that can help you make an informed choice about where to apply! We have 60,000+ successful college application files uploaded by college students. See how they got in, and how you can too!

Paula2020

Accepted to Cornell, Macalester, UC Berkeley, Holyoke, Stony Brook, UC Merced, UCSB, UCSC

I'm a future MD/PhD student who will start attending Cornell University as a Freshman in the fall. I love dancing, and hope to make Cornell's cheer squad next year. I also like helping my community, and I'm basically addicted to tea.
helena32

Accepted to Cornell, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSB, UCSC

Junior majoring in Econ and minoring in Information Science.
andrew.b

Accepted to Cornell, BC, RPI, Pitt, Miami, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Oxford, Columbia

Current student at Cornell University's Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management (transfer from University of Miami)
lyz17

Accepted to Cornell, Georgetown, McGill, UToronto, Western Ontario

Cornell 2017 January grad - Ask me about econ, working on campus, being an international student, early graduation, and anything else :)

Should You Take a Gap Year?
Should You Take a Gap Year?

Popular among high school students from the U.K. and Australia, gap years give you an opportunity to delay attending college for a year.  While gap years are as varied as the students who...

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...