10 Fun Facts About Dartmouth

1. Dr. Seuss (real name: Theodor Geisel) was a member of the Dartmouth Class of 1925. After being busted for illegal drinking and banned from extracurricular activities, Geisel adopted the pen name “Seuss” to continue working on the college humor magazine.

2.  The movie “Animal House” was written by Chris Miller (Dartmouth ’63), based on Miller’s experiences in Dartmouth’s fraternity Alpha Delta Phi.

3. Dartmouth’s Latin motto “Vox clamantis in deserto” translates into “the voice of one crying out in the wilderness.”

4.  As a Homecoming tradition, the freshman class builds a bonfire and runs around it a set number of times in concordance with their class year (so the Class of 2013 would do 113 laps), while upperclassmen cheer them on.

5. In another well-known tradition, hundreds of students plunge into the icy water of Occom Pond for the annual Polar Bear Swim that takes place during Winter Carnival.

6.    Colby College’s Miller Library was actually modeled after the Baker Memorial Library of Dartmouth!

7.Dartmouth does not have an official mascot, although the controversial Keggy the Keg (an anthropomorphic beer keg – see photo) has become an “ingrained part of Dartmouth culture.”

8.     The story behind Dartmouth’s color (forest green) is surprisingly simple: back in 1866, it was the only color not used by another college.

9.  The majority of each incoming class take part in “trips”, a pre-orientation, student-run five-day outdoor program, designed to welcome them to Dartmouth and bond with other freshmen. 

10. Tea and cookies are served at 4pm each weekday at Sanborn Library, home of the English Department. It is estimated that around 1000 cups of teas are served every year!

List compiled by our intern ​Linh, a senior Dartmouth College!

If you’re applying to Dartmouth, make sure to read the application files, including essays, of recently accepted students. Learn what it takes to get accepted and how you can improve your chances. You can also talk to current students by signing up for a mentor.

Already in college or grad school? GET PAID for sharing your old application materials! Totally anonymous; only takes a few minutes! Sign up now!

tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

Hi! I'm a Williams '19 transfer who's passionate about social justice, tech, and STEM. I'd love to share what I learned from navigating this hectic process twice!

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Early Admission Class of 2022 Notification Dates

What date do early decision results start to roll in?College applicants vying for a spot in the Class of 2022 will hear back from their first applications throughout this upcoming week. We’ll update this...