10 Fun Facts About Dartmouth

1. Dr. Seuss (real name: Theodor Geisel) was a member of the Dartmouth Class of 1925. After being busted for illegal drinking and banned from extracurricular activities, Geisel adopted the pen name “Seuss” to continue working on the college humor magazine.

2.  The movie “Animal House” was written by Chris Miller (Dartmouth ’63), based on Miller’s experiences in Dartmouth’s fraternity Alpha Delta Phi.

3. Dartmouth’s Latin motto “Vox clamantis in deserto” translates into “the voice of one crying out in the wilderness.”

4.  As a Homecoming tradition, the freshman class builds a bonfire and runs around it a set number of times in concordance with their class year (so the Class of 2013 would do 113 laps), while upperclassmen cheer them on.

5. In another well-known tradition, hundreds of students plunge into the icy water of Occom Pond for the annual Polar Bear Swim that takes place during Winter Carnival.

6.    Colby College’s Miller Library was actually modeled after the Baker Memorial Library of Dartmouth!

7.Dartmouth does not have an official mascot, although the controversial Keggy the Keg (an anthropomorphic beer keg – see photo) has become an “ingrained part of Dartmouth culture.”

8.     The story behind Dartmouth’s color (forest green) is surprisingly simple: back in 1866, it was the only color not used by another college.

9.  The majority of each incoming class take part in “trips”, a pre-orientation, student-run five-day outdoor program, designed to welcome them to Dartmouth and bond with other freshmen. 

10. Tea and cookies are served at 4pm each weekday at Sanborn Library, home of the English Department. It is estimated that around 1000 cups of teas are served every year!

List compiled by our intern ​Linh, a senior Dartmouth College!

If you’re applying to Dartmouth, make sure to read the application files, including essays, of recently accepted students. Learn what it takes to get accepted and how you can improve your chances. You can also talk to current students by signing up for a mentor.

Already in college or grad school? GET PAID for sharing your old application materials! Totally anonymous; only takes a few minutes! Sign up now!

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...