10 Fun Facts About Dartmouth

1. Dr. Seuss (real name: Theodor Geisel) was a member of the Dartmouth Class of 1925. After being busted for illegal drinking and banned from extracurricular activities, Geisel adopted the pen name “Seuss” to continue working on the college humor magazine.

2.  The movie “Animal House” was written by Chris Miller (Dartmouth ’63), based on Miller’s experiences in Dartmouth’s fraternity Alpha Delta Phi.

3. Dartmouth’s Latin motto “Vox clamantis in deserto” translates into “the voice of one crying out in the wilderness.”

4.  As a Homecoming tradition, the freshman class builds a bonfire and runs around it a set number of times in concordance with their class year (so the Class of 2013 would do 113 laps), while upperclassmen cheer them on.

5. In another well-known tradition, hundreds of students plunge into the icy water of Occom Pond for the annual Polar Bear Swim that takes place during Winter Carnival.

6.    Colby College’s Miller Library was actually modeled after the Baker Memorial Library of Dartmouth!

7.Dartmouth does not have an official mascot, although the controversial Keggy the Keg (an anthropomorphic beer keg – see photo) has become an “ingrained part of Dartmouth culture.”

8.     The story behind Dartmouth’s color (forest green) is surprisingly simple: back in 1866, it was the only color not used by another college.

9.  The majority of each incoming class take part in “trips”, a pre-orientation, student-run five-day outdoor program, designed to welcome them to Dartmouth and bond with other freshmen. 

10. Tea and cookies are served at 4pm each weekday at Sanborn Library, home of the English Department. It is estimated that around 1000 cups of teas are served every year!

List compiled by our intern ​Linh, a senior Dartmouth College!

If you’re applying to Dartmouth, make sure to read the application files, including essays, of recently accepted students. Learn what it takes to get accepted and how you can improve your chances. You can also talk to current students by signing up for a mentor.

Already in college or grad school? GET PAID for sharing your old application materials! Totally anonymous; only takes a few minutes! Sign up now!

jcollica524
Emory

Accepted to Emory, Tulane, GA Tech, GWU, Binghamton, UMD, UMich, Northeastern, USC

Hey! I'm a hard-working data/business major who loves to help high school students with college apps! Message me with any questions!
kPurl
MIT

Accepted to MIT, CalTech, UNC, Duke, Stanford, Harvard, UPenn

A hardworking student whose applications demonstrated my interest in STEM.
BrownDomer
Notre Dame

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!
yujin2023
Brown

Accepted to Brown, Amherst, Duke, Emory, Santa Clara, USC, Pacific, Vanderbilt, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine

Nature lover, STEM nerd. Will likely be late because of who I am as a person.