Senior Prom: Expectations vs. Reality

With college applications and enrollment out of the way, high school seniors can take a breather and plan for prom. Based on movies and tv shows, prom is a magical night that can turn your life around and give you the happy fairytale ending you’ve always wanted. We hate to break it to you, but prom isn’t always as advertised: 

1. You wait all year for the cutest prom proposal

...but you end up begging your best guy friend to take you.

2. You think you have the most amazing dress ever

...but everyone else’s dress seems so much nicer than yours.

3. You think you’ll have flawless hair and makeup all night like Beyonce

...but you scare yourself when you look in the bathroom.

4. You think you’ll make this grand entrance

...but absolutely no one cares you have arrived.

5. You deceive yourself into thinking you can walk in heels all night

...but you can barely stand properly.

6. You think you’ll have killer moves on the dance floor

...but you’re actually just a hot mess.

7. Finally, you think prom is a magical night that will change your life

...but it’s just another ordinary high school dance.

Prom night is much like New Year’s Eve. When there’s too much expectations, it’s often a letdown. But that doesn’t mean it can’t match your expectations! We hope all high school seniors out there have a beautiful senior prom, and have a blast with all their friends! 

Need money to buy that prom dress you’ve been eyeing? Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, you get to cash out your $10 signup bonus and earn extra money for college! What are you waiting for?

BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!
uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Senior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!