Senior Prom: Expectations vs. Reality

With college applications and enrollment out of the way, high school seniors can take a breather and plan for prom. Based on movies and tv shows, prom is a magical night that can turn your life around and give you the happy fairytale ending you’ve always wanted. We hate to break it to you, but prom isn’t always as advertised: 

1. You wait all year for the cutest prom proposal

...but you end up begging your best guy friend to take you.

2. You think you have the most amazing dress ever

...but everyone else’s dress seems so much nicer than yours.

3. You think you’ll have flawless hair and makeup all night like Beyonce

...but you scare yourself when you look in the bathroom.

4. You think you’ll make this grand entrance

...but absolutely no one cares you have arrived.

5. You deceive yourself into thinking you can walk in heels all night

...but you can barely stand properly.

6. You think you’ll have killer moves on the dance floor

...but you’re actually just a hot mess.

7. Finally, you think prom is a magical night that will change your life

...but it’s just another ordinary high school dance.

Prom night is much like New Year’s Eve. When there’s too much expectations, it’s often a letdown. But that doesn’t mean it can’t match your expectations! We hope all high school seniors out there have a beautiful senior prom, and have a blast with all their friends! 

Need money to buy that prom dress you’ve been eyeing? Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, you get to cash out your $10 signup bonus and earn extra money for college! What are you waiting for?

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring PhD students/teacher.
LorLop
CMU ‘21

Accepted to CMU, RPI, Stevens, New Jersey IT

Carnegie Mellon University Computer Engineering Student
loisvve1

Accepted to Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UGA

Pre-Med, language enthusiast, professional sandwich artiste.
htownbrown

Accepted to Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, UPenn, Pomona, Williams, Amherst, Claremont (CMC), Northwestern, Vanderbilt, USC, JHU, UC Berkeley, UT Austin, UNC, Tulane, UMich, Georgetown

An aspiring lawyer who wants to make a difference in the world.