It’s Not Too Late to Apply to College

It’s not too late to apply to college, after all. Though it might come as a surprise, over 300 schools are still accepting college applications for admission this fall. According to the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC), hundreds of schools are still actively searching for new freshmen and transfer students to fill out their classes.

If you missed your deadlines, didn’t get into the schools you hoped, or are just starting your college application process, there are spots open in states across the country, as well as schools in Canada, the UK, Australia, Germany, and more. The schools range in size, from the 1,000 students at Wesleyan College (GA) to the more than 20,000 students at West Virginia University. Even the large state schools like Oregon State University and Arizona State University are still accepting students for this upcoming year.

There are a limited number of spots at these colleges, however. Some are accepting as few as 10-15 students, though that shouldn’t be a deterrent, according to Hofstra director of undergraduate admissions Claire Fitzgibbon. “There’s no reason that you couldn’t be one of those people,” she says, especially considering the number of potential candidates left.

While these schools are still accepting students, it’s still important to research the same important details and considerations you would at any other time during the application process. Location, size, and financial aid are just as important when applying to college, even if applications are late.

The list of school, published by NACAC, will be available until July 1st. If you are planning on applying late, it’s important to contact the school to speak with an admissions officer, just to clarify all important details and deadlines for admission. Before you invest time and and effort into applications, make sure that colleges are still accepting applications.

Though applying to college this late might not be the most ideal situation, it’s still good to know that hundreds of great public and private colleges and universities are still open for admission. If you’re looking for help understanding what it takes to get in, search our database of thousands of accepted college application files. You can read essays, stats, and get advice from students who have already gotten in.

niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast
ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, JHU, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State