It’s Not Too Late to Apply to College

It’s not too late to apply to college, after all. Though it might come as a surprise, over 300 schools are still accepting college applications for admission this fall. According to the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC), hundreds of schools are still actively searching for new freshmen and transfer students to fill out their classes.

If you missed your deadlines, didn’t get into the schools you hoped, or are just starting your college application process, there are spots open in states across the country, as well as schools in Canada, the UK, Australia, Germany, and more. The schools range in size, from the 1,000 students at Wesleyan College (GA) to the more than 20,000 students at West Virginia University. Even the large state schools like Oregon State University and Arizona State University are still accepting students for this upcoming year.

There are a limited number of spots at these colleges, however. Some are accepting as few as 10-15 students, though that shouldn’t be a deterrent, according to Hofstra director of undergraduate admissions Claire Fitzgibbon. “There’s no reason that you couldn’t be one of those people,” she says, especially considering the number of potential candidates left.

Applying to college next year?
View the application files, essays and advice of accepted students.

While these schools are still accepting students, it’s still important to research the same important details and considerations you would at any other time during the application process. Location, size, and financial aid are just as important when applying to college, even if applications are late.

The list of school, published by NACAC, will be available until July 1st. If you are planning on applying late, it’s important to contact the school to speak with an admissions officer, just to clarify all important details and deadlines for admission. Before you invest time and and effort into applications, make sure that colleges are still accepting applications.

Though applying to college this late might not be the most ideal situation, it’s still good to know that hundreds of great public and private colleges and universities are still open for admission. If you’re looking for help understanding what it takes to get in, search our database of thousands of accepted college application files. You can read essays, stats, and get advice from students who have already gotten in.

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, JHU, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State

hulya559

Accepted to Harvard, Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, Emory, USC

Hi! I'm a Harvard PreFrosh interested in service, economics, math, and philosophy excited to help you.
elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a junior at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I am very interested in accessible healthcare for marginalized populations. I also love poetry!