Student Insight: Misconceptions I Had About College Before Attending

How do you envision your four years of college?

College is often portrayed in the media as 4-years of fraternity house parties, binging alcohol, and crazy spring break trips. It is often described as the best four years of your life: a place you can call your second home where you meet lifelong friends, where you fall in love with your future spouse, and where you discover what you want to be when you grow up.

Because of these depictions, students often go to college with a set of pre-existing expectations. So, what are the biggest misconceptions students have? See what these college students have to say:

Misconception #1: Everyone has it figured out.

Student advice from dkragheb

Harvard University ‘20

“Everyone is just as nervous as you are to start college. And just as excited. Don’t be fooled into thinking that everyone has their lives figured out like I did. It can be real scary to come into college thinking you’re lost and drifting but everyone else is sure and on a clear path. So the best advice I can give to a nervous, excited freshman is this: being nervous is fine, being excited is amazing, just remember that ever other freshman is just as excited, nervous, and unsure as you are. Rather than trying to figure out the rest of your life, take your first couple of months to figure out what you like. Take new classes, join eccentric clubs, hang out with the kind of people you may have avoided in high school. I’d say the first few months of college isn’t about defining your future, but it’s about redefining who you are.”

Want more advice? Unlock his Harvard successful application file to learn more about his application journey.

Misconception #2: College Brand Name is Everything.

Student Advice from JonathanAlter

Dartmouth College ‘21

“During the application process, many students believe that they cannot have a successful career and live a good life unless they go to a top-tier school. This is simply not true. Although I go to Dartmouth, I have many friends who do not go to Ivy League or equivalent institutions. Nevertheless, they are taking comprehensive classes, building impressive resumes, finding excellent internship opportunities, and using what they have learned to make the world a better place. When you finally end up at your dream or even not-dream school, just know that where you go does not make who you are and does not determine your success. In the end, your own motivation, drive, and passion will lead you down any path of your choosing.”

View his Dartmouth College profile to read his application essays and more application advice!

Misconception #3: College is the Endgame.

Student Advice from KingCooper

Georgetown University ‘14

“I spent my entire high school career dedicating my time to studying for IB, participating in tons of extracurriculars and playing on 3 different sports teams in school. As crazy as it sounds, I enjoyed all of it. I truly enjoyed tutoring disabled students after school, loved all the sports I played, and even liked the IB classes I was taking. But I must admit I did all of it thinking this will help me get into a good college, which will get me into a good medical school. That was the trajectory. All I had to do is get into a good college and everything else will fall into place.

So, once I got into college, I just floated. I didn’t take part in any extracurriculars (I tried rowing, but quit after 2 months), and didn’t study as hard as I did in high school. Looking back, I was honestly so burnt out from high school I couldn’t get myself to do it. Needless to say, my grades slipped to a point my high school self didn’t even recognize. I no longer knew if I wanted to pursue medicine.

Getting into Georgetown didn’t do what I thought it would. Everything didn’t fall into place. In fact, everything fell apart. But that wasn’t Georgetown’s fault; it was mine. I had treated getting into college as the end game, I never thought about what I’d actually do in college. Thankfully, I managed to pick myself back up, get my grades up and get involved on campus. So, my advice to college-bound students is this: getting into college is a fantastic achievement, but don’t stop there. Make it worthwhile.”

KingCooper’s profile is free! View her full Georgetown application file to read her college essays, supplements and application advice.

College might very well be exactly what you thought it’d be like. It might be significantly better or worse. Whatever your first impressions turns out to be, remember to give it a chance.

While you wait to hear about your room assignments, share your college application journey with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, get paid while you’re at it. What are you waiting for? Create your college profile now!

20pogues

Accepted to Columbia, Northeastern, BU, Miami, UMass, UVM

Music-Loving Pre-Med studying Neuroscience
UCLA

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native.
Rice

lizolat

Accepted to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, JHU, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, WashU, USF, Florida, UCF

Hello, my name is Elizabeth! I graduated from a public high school in Florida, and was accepted to all 11 colleges I applied to. I am now a student at Yale University studying bio!