This Week’s Feature: USC

Ever wondered what it means to be a student at the University of Southern California? If so, then you’re in luck today! This week smileysabrina shares with the ins and outs of what it means to be a Trojan and to be a student at USC. 

Founded: 1880

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Type: Private, nonprofit University

Religious Affiliation: None

Size: Medium-Large

Undergraduate Students: 18,000

Campus Setting: Campus located within a major urban setting

USC Traditions:

Fountain Run

Come visit USC’s campus on a certain spring afternoon at the end of finals week, and you might wonder why so many Department of Public Safety and police officers are stationed all around campus, when nothing seems to be going on. You’d have to stay a few hours later to see that this precaution is necessary to deal with the thousands of USC students who, exultant at being done with 4 year’s worth of tests, papers and lectures, celebrate their imminent graduation by running around between all the fountains around campus, jumping and swimming around in each of them in turn. This crazy spectacle is a must-do for every USC senior, although there’s certainly a safety hazard inherent in such a chaotic celebration (hence the need for medical personnel standing by).

Ground Zero Milkshake

Student founded, owned and operated, the on-campus Ground Zero coffeehouse is famous for its delicious, creative milkshakes, which sport creative names like “The Godfather” and “The Trojan Horse” after pop culture references or USC-related activities. Infamous for being as devastating on the waistline as they are delicious to the taste buds, every USC student needs to sample a Ground Zero milkshake at least once in their undergraduate career.

masagold
Columbia

Accepted to Columbia, Stanford, Yale, USC, Northwestern, Georgetown, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UMich, BC, CMU

jazz guitarist, philosophy major, pre-law, coffee-lover
loisvve1
Stanford

Accepted to Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UGA

Pre-Med, language enthusiast, professional sandwich artiste.
Ves_Nanov
Dartmouth

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.
uhoh29
JHU

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

JHU ‘19, Writing Seminars and English Major, Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow