This Week’s Feature: USC

Ever wondered what it means to be a student at the University of Southern California? If so, then you’re in luck today! This week smileysabrina shares with the ins and outs of what it means to be a Trojan and to be a student at USC. 

Founded: 1880

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Type: Private, nonprofit University

Religious Affiliation: None

Size: Medium-Large

Undergraduate Students: 18,000

Campus Setting: Campus located within a major urban setting

USC Traditions:

Fountain Run

Come visit USC’s campus on a certain spring afternoon at the end of finals week, and you might wonder why so many Department of Public Safety and police officers are stationed all around campus, when nothing seems to be going on. You’d have to stay a few hours later to see that this precaution is necessary to deal with the thousands of USC students who, exultant at being done with 4 year’s worth of tests, papers and lectures, celebrate their imminent graduation by running around between all the fountains around campus, jumping and swimming around in each of them in turn. This crazy spectacle is a must-do for every USC senior, although there’s certainly a safety hazard inherent in such a chaotic celebration (hence the need for medical personnel standing by).

Ground Zero Milkshake

Student founded, owned and operated, the on-campus Ground Zero coffeehouse is famous for its delicious, creative milkshakes, which sport creative names like “The Godfather” and “The Trojan Horse” after pop culture references or USC-related activities. Infamous for being as devastating on the waistline as they are delicious to the taste buds, every USC student needs to sample a Ground Zero milkshake at least once in their undergraduate career.

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, Johns Hopkins

Hey! I'm a freshman at MIT interested in computer science and the arts.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...