Top 15 Universities for Communications Major by Salary Potential

Communication is a strong and much desired field in the workforce, but not very many students think to major in the subject.

Communications is a broad term that covers public relations, crisis management, marketing, strategy, and even journalism. There are many job prospects that students can go into if they choose to study communications for the undergraduate degree.

It may come down to the fact that not all universities offer the major, like Yale, Princeton and Georgetown for example. Many universities offer similar fields of study like journalism and media studies instead. So, if communication sounds like something you can potentially be interested in, do your research and find out what universities off it in their departments and which do not.

PayScale, an online compensation information company, published their findings earlier this year and here’s a list of the top 15 university for communications major* by potential salary:

*Note, this list do not include the salaries of individuals who pursued another degree after their undergraduate degree in computer science.

1. University of California - Berkeley

0-5 years experience: $59,800

10+ experience: $120,000

2. New York University

0-5 years experience: $49,100

10+ experience: $107,000

3. San Jose State University

0-5 years experience: $56,400

10+ experience: $105,000

4. Boston College

0-5 years experience: $54,500

10+ experience: $99,400

5. Ithaca College

0-5 years experience: $54,800

10+ experience: $98,800

6. University of California - Santa Barbara

0-5 years experience: $49,100

10+ experience: $94,800

7. University of Washington

0-5 years experience: $48,900

10+ experience: $93,900

8. Syracuse University

0-5 years experience: $49,000

10+ experience: $93,700

9. Fashion Institute of Technology - NY

0-5 years experience: $45,700

10+ experience: $93,300

10. Northern Arizona University

0-5 years experience: $40,100

10+ experience: $93,000

11. University of Southern California

0-5 years experience: $49,300

10+ experience: $92,700

12. University of Cincinnati

0-5 years experience: $39,400

10+ experience: $43,400

13. Brigham Young University

0-5 years experience: $43,400

10+ experience: $89,500

14. University of Texas - Austin

0-5 years experience: $44,900

10+ experience: $89,400

15. James Madison University

0-5 years experience: $54,100

10+ experience: $92,000

Not sure if you want to study computer science yet? Do some research and browse our database of 60,000+ successful college application files to see what students similar to you are studying!

Sources: PayScale

dhyun15

Accepted to Indiana, UMich, NYU

NYU Freshman - attending its undergrad Stern business school. Planning on studying Information Systems. Love lifting and listening to metal/hard rock/techno. Looking forward to joining a dance group in college :)
ParkerGreen

Accepted to USC, UC Irvine, UCSB, GWU, UCSD, Arizona

Attending the University of Southern California starting in the fall of 2015!

CogsOfSteel

Accepted to UC Berkeley, UCSD, Amherst, UCLA, Cooper Union

Berkeley Electrical Engineering and Computer Science major, with a hobby in firearms and the shooting sports and a strong passion for creative writing.