Ultimate Checklist After You’ve Been Accepted to College

Congratulations, high school seniors! Now that you’re officially college-bound, there a few things you need to do before you run off and enjoy your summer.

1. Make a Commitment

The May 1st enrollment deadline is coming up! If you still haven’t made a decision yet, here are some advice on how other students before you ultimately made their choice. If you have, don’t forget to send in the deposit and paperwork!

2. Say Thank You!

You probably worked harder than anyone else on your own college application, but don’t forget your support network that made the process easier on you. Write a personal note to thank the teachers who wrote your recommendation, the counselors who sent in your transcripts, and friends and family who were there to support you emotionally. If you had a college interviewer, don’t forget to thank him or her as well!

3.  Treat Yo’self

You deserve it. Senior year is a long year. You have to make sure you keep your grades up, study for the SAT/ACT, write your application essays… And honestly, that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Now that you’ve gotten accepted, let yourself take a break and enjoy your time with friends.

4. Don’t Fail Your Exams

Finish strong! You can certainly take it easy, but don’t let all your hard work go to waste. Study for your AP exams and end your high school career on a high note. You don’t want even want to get close to having your offer rescinded. Plus, if you do well, you can get college credit and place out of classes and save money!

5. Send Quality Time with Your Friends

The next few months leading up to College Move-In Day will be precious to you and your ride-or-die BFFs in high school. It’s really the one period in your life where you don’t have any (or at least, not that many) responsibilities, and can really just enjoy the company of your friends.  

6. And…Your Family

This actually might be the last time you’ll ever live at home. Don’t neglect your parents and siblings (if you have any). Enjoy the little luxuries you’ve gotten used to every day for the last 18 years of your life.

7. Learn More about Your College!

Finally, don’t forget to check in and learn more about your college! You’ll be getting a lot of information from your college: dorm choices, orientation information, class schedules, summer reading, etc. Don’t just sweep that aside. It’s in your favor to be (somewhat) prepared when you get to campus. Freshmen year is a whirlwind - you don’t want to get swept up into the chaos of it all!

Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, you get to earn extra money for college! What are you waiting for? Create your College Admit profile!

ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.
elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I love writing, baking, hiking, and music.
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.

College Tours 101: Everything You Need to Know

With spring break and summer vacation in our horizon, it’s time to discuss when and how to plan a successful college tour. What’s a College Tour? What’s the point?  Let’...

Should You Take a Gap Year?
Should You Take a Gap Year?

Popular among high school students from the U.K. and Australia, gap years give you an opportunity to delay attending college for a year.  While gap years are as varied as the students who...

Common Application Essay Prompts 2018-2019

With another application season behind us, it’s time to move on to the next. Here are the 2018-2019 Common Application Essay Prompts. The Common Application conducts a review process for the essay prompts every 2...