University of Michigan - Ann Arbor: Personal Statement Essay Topics & Examples

Want to be a Michigan Wolverine? See what inspired Michigan students to write the personal statements that got them accepted. 

1. Essay Topic: Failure Experience/Reaching a Goal

Essay Excerpt from Aliceywu

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor ‘21

Major: Computer Science

“My name was not there. Two words, seven letters, not there.

Heart pounding, I slowly backed away from the Debate Team roster. Rejected, I thought hollowly, though I wasn’t completely surprised. During my tryout, I had been petrified at the podium, palms sweating and shaking.

Maybe I’ll never debate. The thought crushed me; I pushed it aside.”

Want to know how she wrote her personal statement about failing to make the Debate Team? Unlock her University of Michigan application file to learn more!

2. Essay Topic: Study/Travel Abroad

Essay Excerpt from Rfkoerner

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor ‘20

Major: Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering

“In the summer of 2014, my parents dropped me off at the airport with a plane ticket in hand and some clothes in a suitcase. They were sending me to Germany with another boy who cared little for travel. After being born in Germany and living there for the first five year of my life, I was excited to return. I wanted to experience a culture that I did not remember, to meet new people, see new things, and “re-learn” my second language. I wanted to learn about life in the world beyond my hometown.”

Unlock his UMich profile to find out more about his trip to Germany, and it got him accepted to University of Michigan!

3. Essay Topic: Childhood Memory

Essay Excerpt from UMichGirl

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor ‘22

Major: Computer Science

“As an eight-year old with an incurable love for adventure, I spent much of my time pondering out-of-the-box methods of flight. At one point, I read an article about a man who tied enough balloons to his lawn chair to propel himself into the sky. I found this concept ridiculously satisfying—how could it be so simple? It amazed me to think that a person could fly using everyday objects, and I aspired to do the same.”

Follow her adventurous journey! Check out her full Michigan application file to learn more about her application journey.

4. Essay Topic: Volunteer/Public Interest Work

Essay Excerpt from Rik Banerjee

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor ‘19

Major: Mechanical Engineering

“The transition from tourist to conservationist can happen in a matter of seconds. My trigger was in the Masai Mara, a world famous wildlife haven in Kenya, when I witnessed conservationists harness their technical expertise to save a lioness’ life.”

Unlock his Michigan application file to find out this moment made an impact on his life.

5. Essay Topic: Creative Personal Story

Essay Excerpt from UMich338354

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor ‘21

Major: Business Administration and Management

“The human mind is a beautifully complex thing in which there lies a minimal distinction between pure genius and absolute insanity. My father is a man of the highest intellect who fell victim to even-induced psychosis; the stress of his work caused him to blur this line.”

Keep reading to find out how her relationship with her father shaped who she is today. Unlock her successful UMich profile for her full personal statement and application advice!

Hope this was helpful for those considering applying to Michigan this fall! Interested in reading these students’ full supplemental essays in addition to their personal statements? Unlock all of them in one go with our Michigan Package!

Applying this year? For access to our college profiles, upgrade to our premium plans offer different levels of profile access and data insights that can help you get into your dream school.

UC Berkeley

GA Tech

loisvve1

Accepted to Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UGA

Pre-Med, language enthusiast, professional sandwich artiste.