The 5 Types of College Parents

Parents of college kids have a lot to deal with, especially newly minted empty nesters. Just as college students undoubtedly rebrand themselves to some degree in college, parents often take on one of these five identities…

As you begin this new chapter, parents undoubtedly will change their behavior, too. We’ve broken it down for you:

1. The Workaholics

They’re always working. If they’re workaholics now, chances are they have always been. They always made it to your basketball games, but they were usually preoccupied with their blackberry, or was eventually forced to leave and take a call. Now that you’re in college, encourage them to pursue their career - after all, they’ve been working this hard for you, but also for their own career aspirations. Check-in with from time to time, and make sure they don’t talk about work when you do.

2. The BFF

You guys have been inseparable. Your tell your parents everything, and I mean, everything. Gossip at school, career aspirations, drama between friends. There are no secrets between you two, and you’re both taking this upcoming separation pretty hard. You won’t be able to see each other everyday, but you’ll still text and call each other all the time.

3. The Helicopters

If it’s allowed, they would have put a leash on you growing up. Your parents were overprotective. They always had to know where you were, what you’re doing and who you’re with. They’ll have to adjust now that you’re away from home, so help them. Don’t go cold turkey on them, and call them regularly to update them on your life.

4. The Awkward Ones

Your family was never the best at expressing your emotions. They were always there for you, supporting you at sports games, competitions, or anything you needed. They were the quiet ones who stood by you all your life.

5. The Rager

Your parents were considered the “cool” ones and were always happy to host your friends for a party. In fact, they are extremely excited that you’re going to college and that you’re almost 21! They want to hear all about your college parties, and you shouldn’t be surprised to have them there sometimes.

Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, you get to cash out your $10 signup bonus and earn extra money for college! What are you waiting for?

lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!